On Wednesday, RNC member Randy Evans shocked everyone when he told reporters he believes Donald Trump will be able to win the nomination with less than 1,237 delegates as long as he goes into the convention with 1,100 delegates.
Today, the RNC has dropped another hint that they are beginning to accept the fact that Trump will be the GOP nominee. Peter Feaman, a RNC committeeman from Florida and a member of the party’s rules committee, told reporters that members agreed in a recent conference call that changing the rules now with the looming possibility of a contested convention would make it look like they were trying to rig the process.
“The consensus was that the RNC rules committee is going to specifically steer clear of any proposed convention rules changes because we don’t want the RNC perceived as somehow wanting to manipulate the process one way or another,” Feaman said, according to Allen B. West.
The meeting next week, which happens quarterly, will be the last time RNC members get together before the Republican National Convention in July in Cleveland. However, the convention’s own rules committee, which is made up of delegates as well as party officials, can still make changes to the rules before the convention door opens.
“Our inclination is to let them do their thing at the convention, and we’re just going to leave it alone next week and not even go there,” Feaman said.
The controversy has so far surrounded Rule 40b, which was put in place in 2012 ostensibly to prevent an outsider from toppling Mitt Romney. The rule states that only candidates who’ve won a majority in at least eight states can be nominated at the convention and put to a vote.
Trump is currently the only candidate who qualifies under that rule, but Ted Cruz is gaining on him and even John Kasich has a chance to qualify.
What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.