Back in 2008, 18 year-old Joshua Maddux disappeared from his Colorado home without a trace. For the next seven years, Maddux’s family had no idea where he was, and couldn’t find any clues to his whereabouts.
Then, in April of 2015, Chuck Murphy decided to renovate his small vacation cabin, and he made a shocking discovery. Murphy had been visiting his cabin once every few months, and each time he went there, he noticed a rancid smell that just kept getting worse.
According to American Overlook, Murphy finally decided to demolish the cabin because of the smell, and it was then that he found Maddux’s decomposed body in his chimney.
“It was not the result we wanted,” Maddux’s sister Ruth said, according to OpposingViews.com. “We wanted him to come home alive, but at least now we know where he is. I’m relieved that we finally are able to give him a proper burial.”
Police believe Maddux was trying to shimmy down the chimney when he got stuck on the wood-burning stove at the bottom of it. His death has since been ruled accidental.