When Canadian mother Karen McGregor first noticed blotches that resembled bullseyes appearing all over her one year-old son’s body, she had no idea what was going on.
It wasn’t until McGregor noticed a post on her Facebook feed about Lyme disease that she began to realize that something was very wrong. The post featured a photo of a little girl suffering from the same rash that her son had.
“I phoned our doctor as soon as they opened yesterday and got him in quickly,” McGregor said, according to Conservative Tribune. “Within a few hours, more and more of these bullseye spots were showing up on his face, legs, and arms.”
The doctor confirmed her worst fears: her son had Lyme disease. Luckily, however, the little boy was in the early stages of the disease, so it could still be treated by antibiotics.
Lyme disease, which is spread by ticks, is a bacterial infection that can be very serious if left untreated. In it’s later stages, the disease can lead to inability to move facial muscles, joint pains and heart palpitations.
I am so grateful for the post similar to this one that I saw three days ago … a post that potentially has saved my sons life, or at least saved him from a life very different from the one he lives and loves right now,” McGregor wrote on Facebook afterwards. “He isn’t even two years old yet!”
“We are now waiting and watching. Hoping and praying that nothing else comes of this,” she continued. “The list of things we are watching for is scary — not a list I ever expected to have to watch my kids for, but I am grateful for the fact that we likely caught this in time!”
We’ll be sure to keep the McGregor family in our prayers. In the meantime, let’s spread awareness of Lyme disease symptoms so that others can be treated quickly as well!