Fracking Boom Creates New Jobs For Women, But Not In A Good Way
April 20, 2015 3:04pm PST
New reports have revealed that the new fracking boom has created more jobs for women, but not in a good way.
In an April 6 lecture at the University of Pittsburgh, Sandra Steingraber of New Yorkers Against Fracking warned that the fight over oil and natural gas was having a devastating impact on women.
“Fracking as an industry serves men,” Steingraber asserted. “Ninety-five percent of the people employed in the gas fields are men. When we talk about jobs, we’re talking about jobs for men, and we need to say that.”
“The jobs for women are ‘hotel maid’ and ‘prostitute,’” she added. “So when fracking comes into a community, what we see is that women take a big hit, especially single women who have children who depend on rental housing.”
Supporters of the oil industry quickly fired back, citing a 2014 report from the American Petroleum Institute that stated that women fill 19% of jobs in the oil and gas industry. They added that female jobs in the industry are set to steadily increase over the next few years.
“[W]omen are employed across all job categories, including professional and managerial, office and support, and blue-collar,” said the report.
What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.
You may also like to read:
- Hillary Just Got DEVASTATING News – This Could Be the End
- Disturbing Footage Surfaces Of Hillary Clinton Threatening Bill’s Rape Victims
- What Obama Just Spent $21 Million Of Our Tax Dollars On Will Make You SICK
- Thug Tries To Rob Gas Station – Gets A Deadly Dose Of Reality
- Trump Unloads On The Clintons With Bombshell Admission – This Could Change Everything