Teacher’s Union Working To Amend Constitution, Limit Free Speech
September 12, 2014 1:06pm PST
The National Education Association has expressed their avid support of a proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution which would limit the amount of money any entity is allowed to spend on a federal political campaign. Here’s the catch: The NEA spends millions of dollars each election cycle to get Democratic candidates elected. Basically, America’s oldest teacher’s union wants to limit everyone else’s free speech.
NEA President Lily Eskelsen García said in a press conference regarding the matter:
“Let us not deny the regular people a voice in determining the future of our country. As we approach our midterm elections, millions of dollars of secret, unaccountable corporate money is being spent to influence voters — and politicians. Educators live the impact of the Citizens’ United decision every day as they fight the pro-privatization agenda of the Koch brothers, the Walton family and ALEC-member politicians.”
Garcia was referring to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in Citizens United v. FEC, which held that the First Amendment prevents Congress from limiting independent political expenditures by corporations, labor unions and other entities.
The Daily Caller broke down the hypocrisy of the NEA in detail:
- In 2013 and 2014, the NEA shelled out more money than any other union on political speech.
- So far this year, the teachers union and its multitude of affiliated local unions have spent $9,029,873 on contributions to influence elections.
- The NEA is the eighth biggest spender out of the 15,802 organizations in the United States.
- Of the 100 candidates the NEA has contributed to this year, 95 have been Democrats while only 5 were Republicans.
- The teachers union also has its own super PAC, the NEA Advocacy Fund. This strongly left-leaning super PAC has spent $2,227,474 in 2014. Virtually all of that money has gone to attack Republicans.
- In 2012, the NEA spent a grand total of $16,039,481 on political speech — ranking seventh out of 20,771 groups.
Do you think that the teacher’s union has gotten dreadfully out of hand? At the very least, they should walk the walk. If they don’t want insane amounts of money being spent on political campaigns, then they should stop doing just that. Give us your take on this report in the comments section!
You may also like to read:
- Hillary Humiliated After Trump Scores THIS Endorsement – Slap In The Face For Her
- Trump Drops Bombshell About Supreme Court – Nobody Saw This Coming
- BREAKING: Obama to Alter the Bill of Rights
- Obama Caught Saying This About Bill of Rights To Foreign Leaders…This Is Disgusting
- You Won’t Believe Why Walmart Refused To Print This Couple’s Photos…Wow