Race rioters are burning Baltimore to the ground after the death of black man Freddie Gray. And previously, liberal America had a field day with the fatal shooting of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown. As civil rights leaders ignore the facts of his case, most importantly the mounting evidence that his shooting was justified, we here at Mr. Conservative thought it would be the perfect time to bring you a few sobering statistics on crime and race in the U.S. The information below, courtesy of the Center for American Progress, will help put things into perspective for those arguing that Michael Brown was shot solely because he was black.
- While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned.
- One in three black men will go to prison in their lifetime.
- Black and Hispanic students represent more than 70 percent of those involved in school-related arrests or referrals to law enforcement.
- African American women are three times more likely than white women to be incarcerated, while Hispanic women are 69 percent more likely than white women to be incarcerated.
- From 1980 to 2007 about one in three of the 25.4 million adults arrested for drugs was African American.
The next time one of your liberal friends tries to tell you that crime has no color, you can share with them any number of these facts.
The New Century Foundation compiled a reported titled The Color of Crime, which also sheds light on some of the most polarizing crime stats that affect our country. (Pay close attention to the first three bullet points, as they closely pertain to the Michael Brown case.)
- Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. 45 percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
- Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
- Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.
- Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
- When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
- Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
- The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
- Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
- Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
- Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
- Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.
Here is the New Century Foundation’s entire report:
What do you think of these sobering statistics? Were you aware that violent crimes are committed overwhelmingly at the hands of minorities? Give us your opinion on this topic in the comments section!
(Read More: Group Of Thugs Beat Up 72-Yr-Old For No Reason)