The story of 19-year-old Connor Eckhardt is a tragic one. As many young adults his age do, Connor experimented with marijuana. That choice, spurred by peer pressure, proved to be a fatal mistake.
“Spice” or “K2” is a synthetic marijuana. It is very dangerous because it is impossible for users to know exactly how strong it is. Connor learned this lesson the hard way when he took just one hit of the drug, after which his brain swelled and he slipped into a coma. He died in the hospital three days later. The drugs he inhaled had been sprayed with chemicals.
This has been an incredibly hard time for Connor’s family, but it has also inspired them to do whatever they can to spread the word about the dangers of drug use. They started a Facebook page to raise awareness. The description reads, “Connor Eckhardt died after taking ONE HIT of synthetic marijuana (SPICE, K2, POTpourri). This dangerous substance is legal. Help us save lives by sharing.”
Connor’s father, Devin Eckhardt, told KTLA 5:
“In a moment of peer pressure, he gave into that, thinking that was OK, it was somehow safe, and one hit later, he goes to sleep and never wakes up.”
Often times, you hear liberals argue that marijuana is a “safe” drug. Nobody ever dies from smoking pot, they’ll tell you. Well, this story clearly proves them wrong. It also proves that all drug use should be illegal – including the recreational use of marijuana. The essence of the word “drug” denotes that it is not safe. Do not be fooled.