A Pittsburgh Public School student was rushed to the hospital after she was caught smoking marijuana in the school’s bathroom.
The fourth grade class from Pittsburg Roosevelt School in Carrick were getting ready to board a bus for a field trip when one of the students was caught smoking marijuana in the bathroom.
Principal Anthony Pipkin wrote a letter to parents letting them know that the other students alerted staff to the girl using the drug. The letter also stated that the girl brought the marijuana cigarette and lighter from her home.
A district spokeswoman confirmed that the girl was in fact in fourth grade. She was rushed to the hospital by paramedics after she complained of feeling sick and was later released.
Pipkin said that she will face disciplinary action and may even face charges from police for using drugs on school property.
One of the parents from the school, Crystal Smith, told KDKA “I have a child that’s actually in fourth grade. It’s crazy is what it is.”
Her daughter, Abby Roberts, added, “I was like, ‘Wow, why would somebody do this? You’re a fourth grader. You’re just trying to hurt yourself.’ It was scary. I saw the paramedics take her away.”