Politician Fights To Save Ten Commandments Monument In Wake of Supreme Court Ruling


July 6, 2015 10:51am PST

Last week, we reported that the Oklahoma Supreme Court had made a huge move against Christianity by ruling that a ten commandments monument in front of their state house violated their constitution.

Now, Republican state Rep. Mike Ritze, who funded the monument, has announced that he is not backing down and will continue to fight for the display to stay where it is.

The state’s Supreme Court overturned a previous decision by ruling in a 7-2 vote that the monument is “obviously religious in nature,” and that it only promotes Judaism and Christianity.

Ritze, who is also a doctor, told The Blaze that he and his wife decided to homeschool their children because they felt that public schools were “not teaching the basics and [were] erasing our history and heritage.” He said that this partly inspired him to fund the monument in the hopes that people will never forget the origins of American heritage.

“I felt like we needed to have a monument there to show current and future generations where a lot of our laws derive from,” he said. “That’s how the monument evolved.”

Ritze added that he doesn’t see the monument as religious. Instead, he sees it as a historical reminder of how American law came to be.

“I like history and I look at history and what we were teaching our children … we wanted to link them to as much as the original history — different facts that are being erased in our history,” Ritze continued. “In no way, shape or form did we want the monument to be a religious symbol. This is historical heritage of our birth as a nation and birth as a state.”

Ritze also slammed the ruling, saying that it was poorly crafted at the very least.

“The ruling was very, very poorly written. Three pages on the ruling. We can’t have this, so here’s the reason,” he said. “The legal counsel is asking for reconsideration. If it passes, it will stay. [If not], then potentially there will be an appeal all the way to the Supreme Court.”

The Ritze paid $10,000 to have the monument constructed in 2012. Two years later, a man crashed his car into the monument, later saying that the devil made him do it. The Ritze family paid to have the monument repaired.

The New York-based group Satanic Temple has rallied against the display since it was erected, and have announced plans to place a satanic monuments on the capital grounds if this one is not removed.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.49.02 PM

Despite the decision, Ritze has made it clear that he will not be giving up anytime soon. He has the support of Attorney General Scott Pruitt, who is very much in favor of the monument.

“My office will file a petition with the court for a rehearing in light of the broader implications of this ruling on other areas of state law,” Pruitt said. “In the interim, enforcement of the court’s order cannot occur.”

What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.


You must login in order to leave a comment.