First Ever Woman Dies In UK From “Cannabis Poisoning”

AUTHOR

January 30, 2014 2:23pm PST

A mother of three thought nothing of it when she lit up her nightly joint to help her get to sleep. Sadly for the three children she left behind, she was found unresponsive in her bed where emergency personnel pronounced her dead at the scene.

31-year-old Gemma Moss was a devout mother of three and churchgoer, but was always very open about her drug use.  Her family claims that she always smoked half a “marijuana cigarette” before bed in order to help her sleep, but never did anything more.

(See also: Obama Pulls Race Card To Justify Legalizing Marijuana)

Moss’s mother does claim that for a while, she had managed to kick the habit while she was dating her boyfriend.  When her boyfriend parted ways however, she went right back to it, and informed her mom of her decision.

article-2548669-1B134B8A00000578-825_306x423

Apparently suffering from depression and trouble sleeping, her nightly ritual helped ease her nerves and settle her down before drifting into another one of her countless night sleeps.

This time however was a bit different.

When she went to bed, she lit up her joint, and apparently puffed away until she reached the halfway point when she then put it out.  She eventually drifted to sleep, but when she didn’t come out of her room in the morning, the girlfriend of her son went in to investigate.

article-2548669-1B134BC400000578-266_306x423

After finding her boyfriend’s mother unresponsive she promptly called police who came and pronounced her dead at the scene.  Police also were reported to have found the other half of the joint underneath the woman in her bed.

Her body was then sent to the coroner’s office where an autopsy was completed.  To the coroner’s surprise however, there was no reason he could find that would have contributed to the woman’s death.  Mr. Sheriff Payne, the Bournemouth coroner, stated, “The post mortem could find no natural cause for her death.”

(See also: Obama: Alcohol Is More Dangerous Than Marijuana)

A pathologist, Dr Kudair Hussein, explained, “The level of canabinoids in the blood were 0.1 to 0.15 miligrams per litre, this is considered as moderate to heavy cannabis use.”

article-2548669-1B134E2200000578-207_634x461

The coroner, then did a little research of his own and discovered the cause of the woman’s death to be cannabis poisoning.  He further details that, “there are reports which say cannabis can be considered as a cause of death because it can induce a cardiac arrest.”

According to the Daily Mail:

Mr Sheriff Payne, the Bournemouth coroner, asked Dr Hussein: ‘You are satisfied it was the affects of cannabis that caused her death.’

Dr Hussain replied: ‘Yes sir.’

Although many people claim that no one has ever died as the result of marijuana, that is proving to be false as back in 2004 another man died of cannabis poisoning as well.  Marijuana is considered the gateway drug and when this point is brought up, it should be questioned how many people died from other “harder” drugs that actually started with marijuana.

Sadly for this mother of three, her illegal actions proved unforeseeably fatal.

article-2548669-1B134CF000000578-453_306x423

President of CLEAR Cannabis Law Reform, Peter Reynolds, explains, “It is popularly believed that there has never been a death because of a toxic effect of cannabis on the body. Clearly, it is possible that somebody may have had an accident while intoxicated through cannabis use but that would be an indirect cause.”

(See also: Detroit Politician BUSTED While Driving with Open Alcohol Bottle and Marijuana)

He finishes by saying, “Cannabis is probably the least toxic therapeutically active substance known to man. In conclusion, I would say that it is pretty much unbelievable that anyone’s death could be directly attributable to cannabis.”

What do you think—is this a real concern for marijuana users or was it just a freak accident? Let us know in a comment below!

 

comments

You must login in order to leave a comment.