NYPD Sends Out Over 500 Confiscation Letters to Legal Gun Owners
December 8, 2013 11:37am PST
The NYPD is cracking down on gun owners who have a firearm that is capable of holding more than five rounds. The Police Department is demanding that the guns be surrendered, so that they can be “removed” from New York City. This is certainly not the first time we have noted NYPD confiscating guns from the city’s residents.
These demands started arriving the mail to some 500 gun owners who’s registered guns violated a 2010 ordinance. An NYPD spokeswoman says that the law has been on the books since 2010, but some critics have fired back, saying that this is the first time that notices were widely dispersed.
According to Fox News, The letters went out on Nov. 18, and gave owners several options:
1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct, and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from the City of New York thereafter.
2. Permanently remove your Rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following
[notarized, documented, proof that you got rid of the firearm]
3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance, or you may request the option to bring your firearm to a licensed gunsmith for a permanent modification and certification proving that it is permanently modified and in compliance.
Here is a picture of the notices that arrived at the homes of the gun-owners.
The mass confiscation has prompted several state lawmakers to wade into the debate over the 2010 ordinance. State Assemblyman James Tedisco, had this to say: “These letters appear to be another example of the Nanny State. Hypothetically, it can start with a letter, and then that can lead to someone knocking on your door saying, ‘I want to see your gun.'”
Under Mayor Bloomberg’s watch, New York City became home to the nation’s strictest gun laws. Bloomberg made it a goal of his administration to pull illegal guns off the street and notably even launched, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, an organization he used to build momentum towards gun-control policies. Many critics of Bloomberg and his NYPD will say that the way to keep illegal guns off the streets is not by confiscating registered guns from law-abiding citizens.
What do you think? What would you do if one of these confiscation notices arrived in your mail?
(H/T: Gunssavelives.net, Fox News)
You may also like to read:
- BREAKING: Eric Garner’s Son ARRESTED On Theft Charges
- Playboy Model Tries To Buy Gun – What Happens Next Is Unbelievable
- Police Issue Warning About This Dangerous New ‘Gun’
- ‘Disarm NYPD’ Liberal Group Plans Mass American Flag Burnings For July 4
- Obama Calls For New Gun Control Measures In Wake Of Charleston Shooting